View Single Post
Old 4th June 2012, 11:49 AM   #13
Chris Evans

Hi Folks,

I am with Dmtry on this one. This paper has been around for a while, but I for one cannot take it seriously as it clearly was written without having given serious thought to the subject.

After having studied the work of Forton and others, I have concluded that whilst folding knives of some kind or another have been around since at least Roman times, the lockable navaja, for our purposes the only one of interest as a weapon, is an XVIII century development,

Here are some loose and abbreviated translations from Forton's La Navaja Antigua Espanola, the standard reference book on the subject:

Pg 25: In my judgement, the navaja of olden times can be defined as follows: Popular instrument used in Spain during the XVII, XVIII and XIX....with a single edge, pointed and nearly always somewhat curved, fitted with a mechanism that allows it to turn from within the handle... measuring 18-24cm when closed.

CE's Note: I consider it very significant that Forton does not include a blade fixation or locking mechanism in his definition. This omission broadens the concept of what a navaja almost to the point of meaniglessness. It is also significant that Spanish legislators recognized that it was the locking mechanism that rendered a folding knife into a weapon.

Pg48: From the beginnings of the XVI century the word navaja is used frequently but in a vague and undefined sense. It isn't the shaving razor nor the navajon (CE: A large navaja, but of what kind?) but it did refer to some kind of cutting instrument with a sharp edge.

Pg 65: It is difficult to establish when exactly the navaja appeared in Spain.... The most important reason that the use of the navaja became adopted by the populous, from the XVII century onwards, was self defence in the face of dangers attendant on prevailing conditions.... As long as the Spanish monarchs allowed the possession of the sword, the navaja did not appear....

CE's Note: Until the death of Charles I, in the mid XVI century, there were no restrictions on the ownership of swords

Pg69: ....the navaja did not appear in a generalized form until the beginnings of the XVII century

Pg 72: The earliest reliably documented navaja that I know of is dated October 23, 1699... It is nowadays kept at London's Victoria and Albert museum.

CE's Note: This folding knife does not look anything like what we would now call a navaja

Pg 77: It is from 1732 when the word "navaja" gains a definitive meaning in a legal context....

Pg 90: Quotation of first royal decree, dated 1721, against the possession cut and thrust weapons that may have included navajas by implication.

CE's Note: Curiously, Forton does not elaborate on the Spanish war of succession of 1702, which resulted in the expulsion of the Habsburgs and the ascent of the French Borbons to the Spanish throne. It was after this event that Spain became an annex of France and the government commenced the effective disarmament of the population. Why Forton glossed over this watershed event defies my comprehension.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote