View Single Post
Old 9th April 2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Hi all,

Anyone seen leather work like the attached? Any idea of a regional or tribal ID?

Thanks!

Salaams Iain, When I first looked at this I had to remind myself where the Sahel actually is... and since I always thought Sahel was something tied to a coastline it confused me somewhat...however I noted that Sahel means~

Quote"The Sahel is the ecoclimatic and biogeographic zone of transition in Africa between the Sahara desert to the north and the Sudanian Savanna to the south. Having a semi-arid climate, it stretches across the southernmost extent of Northern Africa between the Atlantic Ocean and the Red Sea. The Arabic word sāḥil (ساحل) literally means "shore, coast", describing the appearance of the vegetation found in the Sahel as being akin to that of a coastline delimiting the sand of the Sahara".Unquote.

To confirm it in my mind I needed a map! See below.

With the map in mind and the task I first have to point out the enormity of the question; not least in actually getting on the ground to see these places...so if this is your chosen area then it underlines the huge scope involved.. In looking at leather it is impossible not to view other decorative styles ...such as jewellery patterns, woodcarving, architecture, tattooing to name a few....The scope is vast! Certainly Zanzibari /Omani style is in part similar and I would point to the broken chains as related to slavery.

The geometric other patterns have numerous meanings but as usual the tribes may well have forgotten those. The geometry, I think, happened when these regions adopted Islam alongside their ancient religions and superstitions.. Naturally therefor African tribal lore encompasses both humanistic and geometric form... thus often the two may sit side by side on decorative objects.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 9th April 2014 at 08:34 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote