View Single Post
Old 9th March 2010, 09:37 PM   #21
Gavin Nugent

Default Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideyoshi
A few moro krises do have this unique designs 18th-19th C. It covers the entire top portion of the guard. This more likely to bee seen on metal handled krises (brass, copper, silver and even in low grade gold are often used) Some are also ingraved to match the handle. I think this is added to beautify the look of the sword. Here's an example.
Thanks for sharing hideyoshi. I too pondered this greatly when I handled it. Mystery solved.

As for the asang-asang, I could and still can in one image posted see the evidence of this once being true and in place, albiet a long time removed when it first came to me. I was also taken by the hilt binding, it appeared to me multi coloured layers, dark/light, if only there was more of the original to know if the pattern continued to the pommel.
Personal touches are just that personal. My touches would layer stack every 10mm a different lighter colour for effect as many Kris did have this undulating effect on grip wraps...I would even but a couple of thin rattan strips around the scabbrd for effect...again, my personal touches.

I'll see how my computing skills are when I get home and maybe with some tuition put some pointer arrows on the image that shows where I think the asang-asang was.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote