View Single Post
Old 4th January 2015, 09:11 AM   #9
Jean

Hello Alan,
I never faced any problem with cleaning ivory or bone/ antler hilts with alcohol because I imediately wipe it and nourish the hilt with either oil or wax.
Few months ago I bought a very old & worn marine ivory hilt with sound materials but very filthy and I could not clean it with alcohol so I did it with a tooth brush impregnated with Cif cream (used to clean sinks, etc), it worked very well and without damage to the ivory after rinsing it immediately and applying oïl (see result).
I use the commercial pusaka oil in 30 ml amber bootles with the red label (not with me here), I am not sure what is the base oil but I never encountered any case of foul smell with it so it seems stable. I bought some essential rose and jasmine oils and in future I will mix some drops of it with the medicinal paraffin oil which should give a even better result in the long term.
I use an a flat artist brush with short bristles (about 1 cm long), it is not as stiff as a tooth brush of course but sufficient for evenly applying a fluid oïl.
Regards
Attached Images

Last edited by Jean; 4th January 2015 at 09:23 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote