View Single Post
Old 27th December 2014, 03:33 AM   #3
COYOTE

Default Conservation of ivory, bone, horn keris hilts

Yes indeed, mineral oil is the best for conservation of ivory, bone and horn keris hilts. I prefer NUJOL, which is very thin, so non-sticky at the end of the process, and is absolutely transparent. I think you can use any mineral oil, I would recommend a thin and transparent one. For dirty deeply carved areas I use a very soft toothbrush with the oil, then I let the pieces completely submerged in a glass full of oil for about 2 - 6 weeks and then leave them on an absorbent thick paper, substituting this paper every 2 or 3 days, changing the position of the piece each time, during the necessary time for the hilt to be more or less dry. Then I gently rub the hilt, first with absorbent paper then with a soft cloth, until getting a nice luster. I always leave permanently a piece of oiled paper inside the hole. Of course, when displaying the hilts, you will avoid direct sun or any other source of heath which could increase the dryness of the pieces causing cracks and dilating the existing ones.
COYOTE is offline   Reply With Quote