View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2008, 04:47 PM   #16
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
So far I gather pre 1908 should be no problem? I think nearly all ethnographic will now be described with certainty as 19th century. The market will be affected. With less sales on ebay, the dealers that sell face to face may benefit hugely? I think for some it will work in there favour. I doubt prices will go down on good condition stuff anyway, just gain in age.
I think ebays rule & policing of the act will evolve over time as it has with inert grenades,ivory, etc.

Some licensed dealers will be able to sell post 1908 weapons to theartre companys, film crews, & insured martial artists. {It ok to have a lethal weapon if you train in fighting with it! }

i hate to be the profit of doom but after reading hansard etc. it is going to get worse... & soon. forewarned can be forarmed! {no pun intended! } Heres somes exerts.....
Earl Attlee: I agree with everything that has been said by noble Lords, but I am curious about the curved blade. I am slightly anxious that it would be possible to import a batch of swords with straight blades, which would fall outside the provisions, and then, by a simple and well understood engineering process—putting them through a roller—cause the blades to bend. I do not understand why all long blades are not banned. I can foresee people importing straight blades and making them curved.

.................................................. ..

Lord West of Spithead: I thank noble Lords for those valid points. I hope I will be able to answer them all, and I appreciate the views. The noble Baroness, Lady Hanham, mentioned, correctly, that the definition does not pick up cheap ninja swords, which are straight, and that it touches slightly on krises. I remember reading about krises in the Wizard years ago in a story about a chap in Borneo. They are unpleasant, sharp, double-sided knives. In my initial speech, I tried to put across that the intention is to try to pick on ninja swords, which are very attractive to some young people. They watch films such as “Kill Bill” and think it is frightfully clever to have them to show off with.

.................................................. ..

The noble Earl made a point about bending sword blades, and he is right that that can be done. We shall have to keep looking at this, and perhaps at some time in the future we shall say that any blade over 50 centimetres—which is long—should be banned. At the moment, it is difficult to do that.

So with idiots like this adding there imput it just will get worse.

They are aiming to ban more in october & they are not inviting an consultations about it.

The Wizard I think was a comic? but Earl Atttlees" by a simple and well understood engineering process—putting them through a roller—cause the blades to bend" is hysterical! He obviosly a bit of an engineer! But the Goverments man agrreeed with him!

Spiral

Hansard link... linky...
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote