View Single Post
Old 18th October 2010, 01:37 PM   #14
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your demanding questions. I will try and do my best in responding.

In older threads I posted a short North Italian Landsknecht snap matchlock arquebus of ca. 1525-30 from my collection, plus a longer but very similar sample of ca. 1540 from the collections of the Royal Amouries Leeds:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7542

Fragments of similar items were found in the wreck of the Mary Rose, and it is known that Henry VIII had ordered hundreds of those and had them delivered from gunsmiths in the Val Trompia, and especially Brescia. That city has been renowned for its gunmakers thru the centuries. As both the shape of the buttstock and the design of the lock with its snapping seahorse serpentine, as well as the stylized acorn shaped ends of the lockplate, are nearly the same on all these guns, including the characteristic iron carving of the barrels, we may safely atribute the group of guns to a some Brescian workshops.

The barrel calibers were in no way standardized by then, and the term caliver, as I pointed out earlier - though of course deriving from caliber - , did not appear until the late 16th century when it meant a matchlock or wheel-lock infantry gun which was shorter, lighter and of smaller caliber than the heavy and long musket.

Though all early gun barrels were smoothbore they used to have quite exactly made sights since as early as the 1470's. Whether they actually were of much use is hardly known. Perhaps the shooter just felt better when exactly aiming.

As to the decorative motifs, the above mentioned North Italian Renaissance style was copied at large, and very soon in Germany as well.

Personally I am convinced that the question of the origin of the wheel-lock, Italian or German, is not yet settled at all. I cannot tell too much but I could acquire an extremely early original combined snap matchlock and wheel-lock dated 1527. Much more investigation has to be done! It is the world's earliest known matchlock/wheel-lock combination, and in some features quite close the crossbow/wheel-lock combination of ca. 1521-26 in the Bavarian National Museum posted here some months ago (please see my thread list). And: that crossbow combination was made in Italy ... !

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote