View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:11 AM   #20
ingelred

Hello,

when I first saw this sword my impression was "German Dusack/Dusaegge/Dusagge", mid to late 16th century.
After all these doubtfully posts I took a look into my literature and found several swords with similarities to this one.
Concerning the shell guard in Gerald Weland 's "Blankwaffen - Ein internationales Brevier", Motorbuch Verlag Stuttgard, Germany, 1994, on pages 62/63 there are to Dusack type of swords having shell guards.
Moreover both of these swords seem to have a yelman point and fullers going to the guard.
Even more similarities can be seen to the two swords shown in Heribert Seitz 's "Blankwaffen I", Klinkhardt & Biermann GmbH Muenchen, 1981, on page 363 in pictures 269 and 270. Not only have these swords sabre typ blades and shell guards but also there are similarities to the pommel and the guard of the sword depicted in picture 269.
Than in Heinrich Mueller / Hartmut Koelling 's "Eurpaeische Hieb- und Stichwaffen", Militaerverlag der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik, GDR, 1986, on page 204 in pictue 126 I found a sword with a shell guard.
All these swords are dated mid 16th century and their origin is said to be Germany.
After all, this does not mean that this sword is genuine. Especially because in the late 19th century we had a time called "Historismus" where al lot of fake 13th to 17th century swords were made for decoration only.
Some of these fakes were so good that even museums were fooled by them.

Best regards, helge
ingelred is offline   Reply With Quote