View Single Post
Old 24th January 2017, 07:40 PM   #7
Hotspur

Sorry to be so absent. I have been in the process of moving and have limited access at this point. I could make more excuses like my books are packed up but I don't quickly recognize this bird.. Would it be possible to get a straight on profile shot from both sides in natural light (no flash)?

It would not be Widmann for a couple of reasons. Widmann imported both entire swords and blades from Solingen. Secondly, Woolley predates Widmanns work. It does look a bit like one of the Baltimore birds and would maybe show in the back of Peterson, the Lattimer books or the Medicus collection but I haven't unpacked (literally haven't set up shelving). No crest and huge beak, hmmmm, why am I thinking of a particular Baltimore again but those have a prominent crest.

There is something weird about this whole sword but it is probably the lighting. It is possibly an Emmor T Weaver of Philadelphia, let me find a file I have. That would fit with the timeline. Yup, Emmor T Weaver type. Is there an ET stamped on the guard (mebbe not even if him)? The Woolley blade now makes sense of a whole different ball of wax regarding northeastern seaboard cutlers and possible post war surplus blades. Big hmmmm. The E. Andrew Mowbray old testament for the early eagles discusses Weaver, even Peterson has some thoughts in his book. My mind is a bit mush these days but as often as I am wrong, this time I think I am right. The small langets would lead to one thinking post 1821 fashion but then we have the Woolley blade. Looks like refined cast steel as well.

I'll have some more thoughts, no doubt.

Cheers

GC
Attached Images

Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote