View Single Post
Old 26th June 2012, 07:34 AM   #16
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
That's indeed the point, thinreadline:
finding out what sources the 'experts' or prop masters relied on ...

I am afraid I am unable to tell what that special pistol was supposed to be as I did not see it.

From rather sad experiences of my own, though, I can tell these film guys usually just resort to information readily available, e.g. a standard encyclopledia or of course the internet.
These sources are normally taken as granted, regardless of their authenticity.

The next thing is: the realization must be cheap and readily accessible.

Atfer all, how often have we watched tv series or movies with 19th c. Colt revolvers being fired endlessly without reloading? With flintlocks being fired without the frizzen even shut? Firing guns without the tiniest trace of a recoil?

The story of misleading the masses when it comes down to weapons is way too sad to be carried on.
Their motto seems to be: who cares anyway? A bunch of weapon freaks who will actually know? Suckers ... you sure can mess around with these!

To be honest I do remember watching one British tv film on Sir Francis Drake, as a boy in the 1960's, probably this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Fra...28TV_series%29

- and I do remember a very good representation of a late-16th c. wheellock dag in there!

Best,
Michael
Very good points Michael.
I am a bit of a gun 'nut' myself with a very wide period of interest and I am one of those who is constantly irritated by anachronistic and just plain incorrect usage of firearms in film. Vis the use of No4 Lee Enfields in a WW1 film 'Deathwatch' I saw recently etc .
What surprised me about the pistols in 'Elizabeth TGY' is that I can find no one who has commented on them on the internet . There is a surprisingly good site 'Guns in Movies' which analyses in minute detail every gun appearing in just about any film one cares to mention , but 'Elizabeth TGY' ..not a peep ! I suppose this simply reflects the paucity of knowledge of early firearms in the common realm .
Anyhow I must finish by thanking you for your excellent articles on this site especially on early accessories .. I have gained knowledge which I would be hard pushed to even know where to look for it .
Regards
Richmond
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote