View Single Post
Old 9th February 2024, 04:13 PM   #20
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is truly a remarkable thread! and has a wonderfully comprehensive discourse on the 'hussar' phenomenon of the 18th century, the romantic flamboyance of whom, thrilled and intrigued all of Europe.

I will say the introduction title is somewhat misleading with the 'cookie' description, but becomes well understood and placed as we read through the thread. I honestly had never known what a SPEKULATIUS cookie was, but in looking it up......absolutely fascinating!

These traditional cookies seem to be part of early Christmas traditions in the Netherlands in the mid 17th century, possibly earlier. The term apparently means 'German spice cookie' (uh, sweet tooth kickin in!).

Children who were well behaved received batches of these cookies in their shoes on the eve of 5th of December, and anxiously would look in the morning for what 'Sinterclaas' would have left for them.

With the tales of the hussars rich in the lore of the times, it would be well understood that military tradition and themes would be the subject matter in many things. I think of the 'nutcracker' soldiers.

The content of this thread has been more than inspiring, and frankly the baked goods connection here keeps reminding me of schiavona hilt mid European saber c. 1600 (Konipsky & Moudry, 1991. p.21) which has a pommel likened to a pastry from these regions called a 'kosarice'.

The esoteric PANDOUR topic is another brought up here that deserves far more attention (as GP has brought into the thread here, #7).

Just wanted to thank everyone for the great insights and entries here!
Goes to show we never know what contexts will bring us amazing learning on these military themed obscurities.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote