View Single Post
Old 13th July 2013, 08:42 PM   #13
machinist

Hello Aptheo, I am pretty sure it is just an escopeta but language is a fluid thing. It was interesting to hear about Trabuco canyon, there are a lot of these names that most folks just do not notice or know the origin of.

Hello CutlassCollector, The engraving seems to flow around the hook so I imagine it was original equipment. I have no real knowledge about how it was carried but it seems clumsy to have it on the belt on horse back so I imagine it would be hung from the saddle and perhaps hung from a belt or sash if you needed both hands for something but wanted the gun close by.

A few weeks after I got this I was setting a gopher trap in my vegetable garden and found a flint for it. Most European flints are uni-facially percussion flaked but this one is bi-facially pressure flaked much like an arrowhead so I believe that this is either a broken native American knife blade that just happens to match the size and shape of a flintlock flint or a native made flint for a Spanish weapon. I tried it and it sparks but not impressively.
Attached Images

Last edited by machinist; 13th July 2013 at 08:53 PM.
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote