Thread: Pamorless
View Single Post
Old 18th April 2020, 12:31 AM   #19
JustYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
If we take the two words "pudhak" & "sategal" and look them up in a dictionary we find that "pudhak" = pandanus flower, and "sategal" ="sa" singular indicator prefix + "tegal" which can be understood in several ways but coupled with a flower it should be understood as dry field, not a field for rice, but for dry crops, or even just grass, it can also be understood as a large field.

However, if we put those two words together they must not be understood literally as separate words, they must be understood as the name of a part of the wardrobe used by dancers performing the classical repertoire.

I have no deep knowledge of Javanese dance, most especially not of the names or appearance of all the wardrobe items used by dancers. I know the origin of the name because it is something that was common knowledge amongst Solo ahli keris during the 1980's.

What I wrote about the freedom of the maker in use of this pudhak sategal characteristic is again something that was taken as a given by the people from whom I learnt, I think you will find EK says something similar --- I cannot check this myself at the moment because I've lent my copy of EK to a friend.

The symbolism of the pandanus flower is common knowledge, but I have no knowledge at all of what variations in the style of rendering the pandanus flower might be.
Many thanks for your detailed explanations Alan

Cheers,
JustYS is offline   Reply With Quote