View Single Post
Old 8th February 2016, 04:48 AM   #73
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Jens,
This passage in Flindt's article is very confusing, and I read it differently.

According to Flindt, it is the large size of the rivets that is the " Bukharan characteristics"

If so, the upper handle with 3 large rivets ( Afghani pseudo-shashka) must be Bukharan, whereas the two lower ones ( both Bukharan shashkas) with 5 small rivets are not Bukharan at all :-)

My point remains the same: can somebody show an example of a Bukharan "shashka" with 3 rivets? I have yet to see one.
I do not see anything "confusing" about this particular passage.
Quote:
When wood or horn were used, the gripshells were held together by THREE TO FIVE large iron rivets whose size may be regarded as a Bukharan characteristic.
The question is not whether anyone has a picture of a Bukharan three rivet shashka/sword, the question is....can a Bukharan shashka have small iron rivets. Was Flindt naming the only chatacteristics or just some of several possible Bukharan styles of riveting. Can the Bukharan shashka/sword be identified by shape/style alone or are large rivets the only indicator that a shashka/sword is Bukharan.

Quote:
A Very fine example of a sword from Uzbekistan of typical Bukharan style. The slightly curved 29 inches long blade is forged of very fine wootz steel of the ladder pattern. The grips of rhino horn, cut axially (Very specific to Bukharan made blade hilts) and of almost black age patina, are in the general shape of that of a Pesh-Kabz dagger, also common in the central Asian countries. The hilt bolster is silver with niello decoration and the scabbard fittings are silver covered with a dense mosaic of small Turquoise stones, also in a typical decorative style of Bukhara.
Attached Images

Last edited by estcrh; 8th February 2016 at 04:59 AM.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote