View Single Post
Old 8th November 2005, 03:29 AM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

One thing I have noticed with Spanish colonial swords from the Philippines, i.e. those swords which seem to have Spanish influence, is that the tang and hilt are "off center" with respect to the long axis of the blade. The tang seems to be more asymmetrically positioned, towards the spine of the blade, such that the spine and handle often seem to have the same continuous line. This orientation is seen also in the so-called Mediterranean knives, and in Spanish colonial knives from the late 20th C. that are attributed to the Canary Islands.

You can see this feature in the first example of this thread, and in the pictures of the sword that I posted above.

While this feature may not be exclusively Spanish, when it is seen in former Spanish colonies I would suggest that it reflects Spanish influence on the local patterns of weapons.

Moro Swords/knives, Visayan weapons and traditional native weapons from Luzon consistently seem to have a tang that is placed centrally.

Having made this gross generalization, I await critics with a multitude of examples proving me wrong.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 8th November 2005 at 03:40 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote