Thread: Makara
View Single Post
Old 6th October 2013, 06:16 PM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshah
As-salaam Ibrahim,

The picture was an encrypt from the book "Spirit of Wood" - a Malay woodcarving book. I do not see any problem of using the pix for your study, but I would like to concur here that the beautiful hilt wasn't mine. Enclosed are few more pictures that also wasn't mine, but perhaps would bring more words of wisdom around...the last one, was mounted on Philipines / Moro - based weapon IMHO.

I agree, it doesn't look like a makara to me. I always thought, as my recollection from discussion with senior keris collectors of Kelantan, Makara was a folklore creatures that takes major body of an elephant, with naga appearances. For what it's worth, I think it is an interesting hilt form usually found on Malay badiks - a small, single-edged and very-easily-concealed weapon that is easier to be carried around than the keris.

Thank you for the link, it was a delightful read indeed!
The Angkor-based Khmer Empire relation was interesting, since Pattani Kingdom was subjugated by the Siamese on the 17th century, so does the Khmer somewhere down the line, IMHO. Need to revisit old text that I have a copy to be exactly sure though...

Regards,
Moshah

Salaams Moshah and thank you for your excellent post.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote