Thread: Makara
View Single Post
Old 27th September 2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKelly
As part of going every which way at once in this new hobby (surely not obsession . . .) of mine I got this small Indian kard recently. I am a metallurgist, and wanted a good example of wootz (a.k.a. watered) steel. This one has the Mohamed's Ladder pattern. Well, since the hilt includes a Hindu Makara I suppose the Muslim reference is inappropriate. Decided Makara makes a fine Avatar. I have Manfred Sachse's 3rd edition Damascus Steel (in English) & need to study a bit. Am so pleased to have a fine example of this steel that has been legendary for two millennia.
Anyway, this knife is about 250mm overall, with a 160mm blade. Bought this and an Indian made Arab style Jambiya from a dealer in England, with a Tulwar on the way from the same gentleman. Time to slow down, I reckon. Although I hope to have a Sudanese arm dagger from a German auction house, if I can figure out their incomprehensible (to me) system of how one pays the bill.
All these will be mixed in my den with American & English pocket pistols, sporting rifles and muskets, flint & percussion. Space is a problem - I am Wall Challenged (American joke).

Salaams JamesKelly ~ I dont think they are Makara but I do suspect they are Nagas.... equally impressive!

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote