Thread: Keris Selit
View Single Post
Old 15th April 2018, 11:23 AM   #36
kai

Hello Gustav,

Quote:
While cleaning blades and making pictures I took some care of this Malay Keris Selit I have for a longer time already. It's from Northern Peninsula, 23,2 cm blade. A little bit unusual for KS because it's Pandai Saras type blade in a Saribulan sheath.
That's a nice Keris Selit! I'm not sure whether this concept applied to pre-20th century Kelantan/Pattani culture - their usually long blades and scabbards would certainly make these smaller ones more convenient to wear on special occasions (especially ceremonial events with lots of sitting...).

There do appear to be some PS variants; while short blades tend to be more stout, I'm not convinced that this really represents a PS style though. However, it clearly exhibits northern Malay features and it may be a moot point what name to tag on it...

Quote:
For years I thought it would be mono-steel, around or even post WWII.
There are many northern Malay keris blades that are laminated, usually with somewhat subdued contrast like in, e. g., Aceh blades.

Do you associate monosteel in Malayan keris with the WW2 period and later? I'd expect them to have access to monosteel quite a lot earlier and utilize it for keris, too.

Quote:
After some hours in pineapple juice it became clear, that:
1) the blade is hardened (it's actually very sharp);
Yup, really extensive treatment down into the sogokan area!

Quote:
2) it was treated with Warangan;
Like I emailed you a while back, I wouldn't be surprised to find warangan on (untouched) antique blades from pretty much all over the archipelago (including the northern Malay region).

Fruit juices also darken steel/etc. though - what criteria speak for warangan, specifically?

Quote:
3) it most probably is very finely laminated, but - it looks almost like sham. My photograph and etching skills are not good enough to show it properly, yet there are some hints even in my lousy pictures. It's also a bit difficult to see under the file work.
I guess I see what you mean - could this possibly be shear steel? This also can exhibit sham-like internal structure resembling crucible steel.

Quote:
Gonjo perhaps could be from a different material.
It definitely is laminated with contrasting material - this pamor hasn't been utilized for the blade for sure!

Interesting keris, congrats and thanks for posting! Let me know if ...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote