View Single Post
Old 18th October 2010, 03:02 AM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Michael,
As a complete novice at medieval guns, aside from sharing in the obvious accolades on what a fantastic piece this is, all I have is lots of questions.

Aside from the fact that walnut is a favored wood in N. Italy, what in particular would distinguish this as Brescian?

What caliber does 10mm & 8mm translate into? If these are standard calibers would this technically qualify as a caliver?, as was often a term for lighter arquebus' of standard bore.

With these being smoothbore, why would a sight be needed or used? and presumably the three forward barrels might have been fired simultaneously to achieve the 'volley fire' method to ensure a hit.

As always, I wonder about decorative motif, and is there distinguishable parallel in other Brescian weapons that might be compared ?

How soon after these matchlock arquebuses did the German wheellock mechanism begin use in Brescian guns?

A virtual 'barrage' of questions I know but these guns really are fascinating, and though I have difficulty with the mechanisms, I think the history of the developing types is most interesting.

Thank you Michael as always, for sharing these!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote