View Single Post
Old 26th November 2010, 04:27 PM   #15
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Thank you for these, Alexander,

I feel now it's my turn to comment.

From top:

A rare and heavy combined cannon and haquebut barrel, South German, ca. 1500; note the additional trunnions and the flat pan that, interestingly enough, has no provision for a pivoting cover.

A fine Nuremberg cast copper alloy (most certainly bronze) haquebut barrel divided into four stages, ca. 1515, possibly dated within the raised double band on the rear stage, and extended muzzle section (Mündungskopf), and equipped with fully developed back and foresights. The pan seems to be a later repair. Just to convey an impression of how the stock looked like, I attach pictures of my contemporary Nuremberg bronze haquebut showing the very same staging of the barrel.

Two detached breech loading chambers from cannons, mid 15th c., the lower one struck with a mark in the shape of a star or a sparkle (!) right behind the touchhole. The 'linstock' is a very poor and formally inapt modern replica. Attached please find an image of an original mid 16th century linstock from my collection.

On the next two barrels, please see my comments together with the photos I posted above.

Bottom:
A small cast bronze arquebus barrrel, possibly of Swiss make, late 15th c., in excavated condition.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 26th November 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote