View Single Post
Old 5th December 2018, 07:42 PM   #9
kronckew

Item arrived late this afternoon from Isle of Mann, Only paid them Tues. Must have made all the connections perfectly, came in thru Bristol, just south of me

Anyhow, I am a happy chappy. blade is basically fine, a little surface rust, the auction picture is very misleading. No major pitting evident. pommel disk a bit wobbly, the 'horn' is solid tho, as is the rest of the grip. The blade is a bit flexible, distal tapered, Single edged, narrow fuller along the spine, and a wider one on the centre line. Tip is sharp, rounded. there is a distinct raised straight yelman about 6 in., sharp, as is the rest of the blade. NO nicks in the field sharp edge.

Obvious markings are three circles with centre dots in a triangle near the end of the tri-lobed languet on both sides. The two side lobes of the languet end have centre holes and the un-holed centre lobe has a small spire. oddly, the yelman has a single dotted circle stamp either side right near the spine juncture. The yelman is only about an eight of an inch higher than the flat spine. A bit of elbow grease with scotchbrite and this warhorse would be ready to fight another war. Grip is essentially quite comfortable in a hammer grip, Or even more with a finger over the guard. There is a rough patch on the lower cross guard, and a corresponding patch on the pommel disk where obviously a flat finger bow had been, about a half in wide. It's being missing is likely why the disk moves a bit.

It looks an awful lot like this blade is Wootz as well!

Pictures to follow when I clean her up a bit.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote