Thread: Zulu Spear
View Single Post
Old 18th June 2006, 09:17 AM   #12
The Double D

Yes we can always learn from each other. I think that a lot of what we know and learn about these articles is a lot like finding pieces to a puzzle. The experience collectors may have alot of pieces, but the new collecter may have found the one missing piece to complete the picture. We need to be open minded and willing to share what ever knowledge we have.

In the picture I posted above I think there may clues to the origination of the Spears. The ornateness of the Zande spear makes it fairly easy to identify.

The less flamboyant South or East African Spears in my picture are a little more difficult. I am sure there are clues in the photo. Shape, size, material, construction methods, and hafting must be some sort of indicator. I wonder also if those same features might even identify maker or source. The tang mount is something that appears to me to be associated with South African spears.

I kind of believe that the top blade is some sort of machine made blade, made in quantity for bartering with the local population for whatever commodity they might have to trade. Thoughts? Was that a practice in Africa?
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote