View Single Post
Old 8th September 2006, 02:31 AM   #5
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Should you really be modifying this sword Bill ?
I'd advise against it myself .

This brings up the eternal question ; when to 'restore' and just what exactly is 'restoration' ?

In any other facet of the world of antiques you would be lowering or destroying the value of this piece .

I'd advise against 'enhancing' the ball; it goes against the purity of the piece.
Hi Rick,

The eternal dilemma. Restore? Leave alone in the "as found state?"

I try to find out about the culture and how the orignial owners cared for their pieces. Recently I read that the Moro did not keep their battle blades bright because reflections might give away their positions. They did keep them clean and ALWAYS sharp!

To have an old scabbard and/or hilt is a sign of neglect and disrespect to a Javanese keris.

I have a silver sword, a "temple," "Newar" or "Nair." This was used by the Theyyam of Kerala / Malabar (india) in trance rituals to gods and goddesses. The swords and other accoutrements were kept in high polish. Not to do so would be to disprespect the goddess and you REALLY don't want to do that!

So I am cleaning away the patina/neglect to bring it back to its pristine condition. I do admit that this hurt me at first, then it seemed that the sword breathed a sigh of relief and enjoyment at being clean again.

I used to believe in the "Golden Rule." But now I am working on the "Platinum Rule:" Do unto others as they would be done unto."

As long as I can follow the practices other cultures used to respect their pieces, I will do my best -- within reason -- I am NOT feeding my panabases weekly blood. That is going further than I can handle.

So, to add teeth or not? I'll need to spend some meditation time with the new balato. WWND? What would Nias Do?
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote