Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp
perfect

can also be swiss, see a dutch one as painted by rotius and a swiss one

best,
Jasper
Jasper, that single word from you means a lot!!! Thank you!!!
I agree of course, this could equally be Swiss, or German for that matter.
Would the filtering of these influences be attributed to the landsknecht factor and the use of mercenary forces by various European nations and principalities?

Jean Luc, thank you, especially for the opportunity to learn from this and the many examples you and Jasper always share here. When I began researching this sword, quite honestly I could not be sure on its nationality but the period seemed right. It was the lion head that presented such an intriguing challenge!

I began to think of the much discussed and debated sword of Ceylon, the kastane, and the animal head pommel, which is typically regarded as a lion head. There are many views which regard these as Makara, the mythical beast in the lore and tradition of these regions and the subcontinent.

The reason of that association is of course with the Dutch VOC, and that many Dutch swords in the 17th c are seen with rather exotic looking 'lion' or animal heads on the pommels. Actually these type beastly or dragon head like pommels continued with English swords well into the 18th century, and were termed 'gargoyles' in heraldic notion. The confluence of Dutch and English style and fashion was of course well established during these times.

While for a time it was tempting to think that the Dutch lion heads and zoomorphic pommels were influenced by these Ceylonese examples, the earliest example of the kastane in its recognized form was c. 1619.
Actually it seems likely that these were with such form much prior to that date, but then so were European pommels in some degree.

I think it more likely that the lionhead and for that matter, other beasts in European arms are more likely to have heraldic origin than other ethnic influence in general. However one cannot dismiss other instances in more singular cases.

Touching on the heraldic factor, thank you Andreas so much for the translation on that motto! and I would note that the arm with sword issuing from the cloud seems very much a heraldic device. In the well known religious conflicts of the 17th century in Europe, this and the Latin motto seems well placed on this blade.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote