View Single Post
Old 12th April 2018, 08:26 AM   #2
kai

Hello Robert,

This looks like the real deal to me. I find many Indo spear heads very difficult to place as to origin, age, and quality - so take my comments with a grain of salt.

In short, I'd guess that this example is from Java, probably antique and of decent craftsmanship. Try to get some input from Alan by sending him a PM with a link to this thread.

The methuk (the round thingie at the base) seems to be forged seperately - have a close look at the pamor when it arrives. Also the end of the tang has been carefully twisted (not uncommon but rarely seen with recent low quality pieces).

The dapur/shape as well as the pamor seem to be of a fairly basic type. Regardless, surviving spears are not rarely family pusaka (these tend to be mounted though, at least on short hilts) or at least old pieces from the colonial era.

The main question will probably be how to remove the rust without loosing too much of the warangan staining. After thorough degreasing, I'd probably opt for soaking in (preferably fresh) pineapple juice with frequent work with a stiff plastic brush (return into the same small batch of juice so that the arsenic can keep staining the cleaned areas); you'll need to tackle the rust in the pitted areas by carefully loosening it with a fine needle, repeatedly. It is important to really remove all rust; otherwise, it will re-appear soon and compromise long-term preservation. Pics taken with flash can help to identify remaining rust not readily visible by the naked eye.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote