View Single Post
Old 20th February 2008, 05:38 AM   #47
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
Jim,

I thank you for your reply, and was not intending in any way to appear to be "squashing" what you had to say.
This whole subject is so very interesting, and by nature bound to have much folklore and variations in it. This is what makes it so interesting!....trying to sort out truth from fiction.
If it was all plain and straight-forward it would not be half so compelling.
(After all, when did we last enjoy searching when we knew the answers already?!)

There have been some beutiful swords shown on this thread! thanks for sharing!!
I have no Scottish basket hilted swords. (Only a home-made dirk) I Nearly bought one years ago in York, but the guard was "gai sair" on the knuckles!

Richard.
No problem Richard! I did not perceive that at all.
You have hit the nail on the head on the researching of these weapons...it is truly an adventure that is indeed compelling and you are exactly right, a complete joy in discovering answers to the countless questions and mysteries. While the folklore can be confusing from a historic view, one cannot deny the lore of Scotland is truly magnificent, making the search indescribably enjoyable, to the point where one often forgets exactly what the search was for,at least for me.

There are truly some beautiful swords posted here, and it is great to be able to admire them as well as learn more on thier history.

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote