View Single Post
Old 10th February 2024, 09:42 PM   #4
survtech

Default Pair of LePage percussion pistols

Thank for your kind words.

"I know from talks with collector historian Rainer Daehnhardt that he is a great fan of Jean LePage."

Me too Fernando, below is nice pair of cased percussion pistols and a very rare pair of presentation pocket pistols.

The percussions are by LePage Moutier; the pockets are much earlier and very very rare.

Jean LePage made some spectacular presentation pistols and long-arms, but his presentation de-luxe grade pocket pistols are exceptionally rare.

There is a magnificent Montagny engraved pair of double-barrel pocket pistols by LePage in the Metropolitan Museum of Art but, other than the pair shown here, I am not aware of any others, search engines also only come up with the Met pair and the pair you see here.

To say that these pocket pistols are the equal of anything from the Versailles Manufactory is an understatement, these pistols are stunningly beautiful.

As is usual for presentation pocket pistols, each lock-face carries a different engraving. Like the Met pistols, the lock-face engravings are likely the work of Fleury Montagny; they are certainly from the pattern book of Ignace Joseph Chevalier de Claussin (1766-1844), as are many of the presentation pistols by both Boutet and LePage.

The four lock-face engravings are: –

“Neighing Horse” from an etching by Paulus Potter (1625-1654) (This exact engraving is also on one of the Met pistols.)

An untitled etching of a ram by Paulus Potter.

An untitled etching of a ram by Nicolaes Berchem (1620-1683)

“Pissing Sheep” by Marcus de Bay (1639-1844).
Attached Images

survtech is offline   Reply With Quote