View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2014, 04:25 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Very Interesting All Business Tulwar Sword

I was recently able to acquire this interesting "all business" tulwar sword from one of our forum members. I find it to be a fascinating sword in many respects:

- it is likely the heaviest tulwar with the thickest blade I have ever handled
- the blade is an excellent example of pattern welding
- the blade is inlaid in STEEL with an inscription
- the hilt is an interesting combination of fine wootz and homogenous steel

The sword was no doubt owned by a big, powerful man. The blade is heavy and somewhat difficult to handle easily, though one blow from it could likely cleave off a man's full shoulder with ease.

This is the first time I have seen a sword with an inscription inlaid in steel, reading:

(Sahib Sri) Uday Singh (Ji) Daata Sahib Labana – Daata Sahib (Head) of Labana (village in Rajasthan)

The sword's maker's mark shows the maker as Ibrahim Amal, forged in the Islamic year 1254 (1838AD).

The hilt is made of two panels of wootz steel and with a wootz pommel and homogeneous steel quillons fitted into the hilt via wedges welded to the wootz. The wootz grips are possibly veneers over homogenous steel. I wonder why wootz was not simply used throughout?

I am including a picture of another Indian sword (from Akaal Arms blog) with an identically made hilt, but with gold koftgari covering the wedged in welds.

The scabbard is original and features silver plated steel fittings.

Truly an all business tulwar!!

Dimensions:

Total length: 37in.
Blade length: 31.5in.
Blade thickness at the forte: 3/8 in.

*Thanks to Runjeet Singh for his help in translations, and for allowing me to use pics from his site for comparative purposes.
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 22nd October 2014 at 06:46 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote