View Single Post
Old 30th April 2008, 05:24 PM   #46
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Feeling a bit dizzy within such vast universe of considerations, let me post here some loose notes, not without apologizing for their percentage of nonsense .
... Certainly the channel of comunication here is in english but, as we all understand, the diverse senses of its interpretation are less vital than the intrinsecal subject under apreciation, which certainly is not a ( english ) language dissection but how the object, in this case a badik scabbard, was produced, whether in an Asian or Western dialect, as long as mutual understanding may be achieved ... beyond academic, technical or current terminology.
... "Repoussé", from "repoussage", is a galicism; among other reasons, this means that the term was borrowed from french language speakers. Its use was probably preferred in other languages because either it has achieved a certain charisma or its translation would not be faithfull to the action in question, or the like.
... If we consider the strict translation of the term, we will have "re-pushed", right ? But while (at least) in coloquial French (and Portuguese) "pushing" and "pulling" are quite distinguishable, both dictionaries expand the possibility of, contextualy, "pushing" meaning also "pulling" ... for what matters.
... It could also happen that, while the discussed "repoussé" signification diverts or expands in certain languages, it remains with its strict original meaning in other/s ... not minding if this happens in its native language or in other. This to say that, while for the French (for example) could still only mean punched ( or stretched) by the converse side, for the British or Mexicans could already refer to punch from both sides of the material.
... It apears that "repoussé" is not much used in Portuguese, except maybe for some bourgeois, for whom galicisms are (still) rafineé; "repuxado", and sometimes "puxado" is what is largely used here, "puxado" being more on the verbal side.
... I have shown this badik to a local jewelery shop owner; he reckons that the work was done from the inside, with also some detail by the outside.
He added that the term "repuxado" is now currently called "estampado" (stamped), probably because nowadays these works are mechanicaly made. However he is not a smith, for what counts.
... On the other hand, i guess that the distinction in the term/s atribution by either technicians and laymen is not so just "black and white"; through time, technicians were (some still are) empirical craftsmen and not "educated" persons, giving the action their own version of the term, or the term their own meaning . Is it not due to the frequent "corruption" of the terms by "non educated" people that linguistic conventions end up officializing them and include them in the dictionaries?
... Let me stop, before you through your wrath versus my ignorance .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote