View Single Post
Old 27th July 2009, 07:11 PM   #4
TVV

When one speaks of Bulgarians, one needs to differentiate between the Danube and Volga Bulgarians.
While Danube Bulgarians became Orthodox in the late 9th century, the Volga Bulgarians asopted Islam and maintained relations with the Caliph in Baghdad as a natural ally against the Khazars.
Finds from Volga Bulgaria show a variety of blade forms - from straight double edged Northern European swords with Scandinavian/Rus origin to sabres and palashes (a sword with a straight back but slightly curved edge, a precursos to the sabre), more typical of nomads.
So to answer the question - the Volga Bulgarians used weapons characteristic of all of their neighbors, and probably also Arab and Eastern Roman weapons, which they surely ahd access to through trade. I suppose that in some obscure Russian archeological magazine there is a detailed study on the weapons found in Volga Bulgaria. Would be really nice to find it, as the Volga Bulgarians were the first army tod eal a major defeat to the Mongols shortly after the battle of Kalka.

As for Danube Bulgaria, there is a book on swords from the Dark Ages found in Bulgarian soil. I personally severely doubt Russ Mitchell's statement, but am interested to know what it is absed on. As mentioned, Bulgaria adopted Orthodox Christianity in the late 9th century, and in the prior two centuries most of the times the Bulgarian Khans were able to impose a tribute on the Basileus. A few decades after the adoption of Christianity, the Bulgarian armies were besieging Constantinople and the wars lasted until the early 11th century, when Basil II finally managed to conquer Bulgaria. I cannot see how the Basileus had any way of dictating hilt fashion among his enemies during these times, but would be happy to learn.

Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote