View Single Post
Old 24th June 2019, 01:27 PM   #11
A. G. Maisey

Thank you for that reference Jean.

Interesting.

Not infrequently I find my opinions are at variance with those who are regarded as experts. Probably because I have not learnt from the books of these experts, but rather have formed my own opinions based upon my own observations and what I have been told by people living in Jawa and Bali, whom I have regarded as knowing more than I do.

In respect of the second wrongko that I think shows some indications of re-work, I was not looking so much at the gandar, but rather at some peculiarities in the overall workmanship. Still, this is immaterial, it is a given that any old wrongko will have sustained some damage, and along the way that damage will have been repaired.

Actually Jean, I am not now and have not been for a very long time on any crusade to bring enlightenment to the world, if others treasure beliefs different to my own I am quite happy to allow those beliefs to go undisturbed. A long time in the past I did hold the conviction that all things related to the keris could be quantified, classified and registered as being just so. I no longer hold this conviction. My present position is that a very few things are inarguable, nearly everything else is quite hazy.

I believe that perhaps the majority of experienced students of the keris now understand that most keris "knowledge" is in fact part of one keris belief system or another. I am of the opinion that at least one of those keris belief systems has been generated by those people who collect the physical keris.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 24th June 2019 at 01:47 PM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote