View Single Post
Old 6th November 2018, 11:47 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Michael. Welcome to the form. I am pretty much in agreement with what the others have said here. I'd have to see better, sharper close-ups, but the hilt does not look ivory to me and antler or bone is more probably. This style of hilt is known as "donoriko" and they are fairly desirable, though the ivory ones more so. It does seem to be fairly well carved.
As Detlef has stated, this is East Jawa dress (Madura is considered apart of East Jawa). It does appear that someone added a metal hanging tab onto the back of the metal sheath cover (pendok). I can't tell what they used to attach this piece, but if it was some kind of epoxy you may be able to remove it.
I think you keris is at least 19th century. It is not a high end keris so probably did not belong to anyone of much importance. The status of keris begin in the highest levels of the the kraton (palace) where it's relevance and significance to the culture can be at the highest levels, but it trickles down into common society to the everyday Joe. Every man would have a keris in this era of East Jawa. It represented him, his family line and his place in society.
David is offline   Reply With Quote