View Single Post
Old 4th November 2018, 06:36 PM   #8
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

I would guess that wood was not such a problem, in a Sub-Continent full of forests. More impressive is the number of people involved in these confrontations, even taking into account that some figures would be inflated by authors and that, battle casualties were not necessarily all soldiers, but civilians by colateral causes; you can read in chronicles that, when a leader won a battle after having been previously defeated, ordered his men to massacre all local civilians as a revenge bonus ... and also as a side effect during the loot.
I have read once (pity i don't recall where), that it took days (days) to cross the area where the laying dead stood, after a determined battle.
But despite these figures and scenes are astonishing, one ougth to believe in them. I have a book open in front of me where the author mentions that, comparing to the 'little' battles the Portuguese fought in India, in the wars for Delhi fought by local rulers, for one, casualties could be counted by the hundred thousand, even millions !!!. Each of the five times that Delhi was condemned to death, more human beings were slaugthered than those of Portugal period population.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote