View Single Post
Old 18th August 2015, 05:30 PM   #42
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It seems to be that this discussion has of course been pretty well covered over the years, and most of the idea of forefinger curled over guard is in my view a mostly 'westernized' assumption quite broadly and consistently resurfacing.
Although the use of forefinger extended around guard was indeed something often employed in western swordsmanship in some cases, hence the development of rings and 'pas d'ane' in rapiers and smallswords for protection of the exposed digit, it does not seem a normal application in standard swordsmanship.
Even though it is well known that the shield or dhal was the method of parry in eastern swordsmanship , and there was little sword to sword contact, it would be, in my opinion, very much against the grain of human nature to place a finger 'outside' the guard (whose design was to enclose or protect the hand...entirely).

In virtually all images seen here photographically, the swords are being held 'at rest' or in non combative poses. Much as the figure posing, the grip or holding of these swords seems postured, therefore no more a measure of actual technique or grip than the most often studio prop arms typically used .

While I have found considerable material noting the significant difference in size of the hands in many of the Indian ethnic groups, it does not seem a constant which would necessarily dictate the proportion of an entire weapon form, with some variation of course possible.

The downturned quillons on many saif (Moroccan, nimcha)as well, became vestigial, just as on the kastane of Sri Lanka and other forms we can certainly note. In Europe, the pas d'ane rings became entirely vestigial on court swords and smallswords .
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote