View Single Post
Old 24th February 2015, 07:04 PM   #16
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Every single one of my keris has a magnetic charge Wayne. If it isn't already activated it can easily be done simply by holding the tip of the blade to a strong magnet for a few seconds.
that's cheating tho, i was referring to naturally magnetised blades. any piece of iron or carbon steel can be magnetized using another strong magnet, or electromagnet. magnetic kitchen knife racks a noted example. some knife sheaths for modern knives incorporate a strong neodymium magnet to hold the knife in rather than a strap. i imagine that also would impart a magnetic charge on the blade. i've heard of someone who could magnetise a steel rod by hitting it on one end with a hammer to align the molecules. never tried that tho.

you can DE-magnatise iron by heating it to the curie temp (roughly 750C) but it must then be re heat treated and tempered, not recommended for a finished blade. electric degaussers would be better.

as this temp is reached during forging, carbon steel blades are initially non-magnetic, picking up a charge later in life.

some people have success degaussing by repeatedly dropping a magnetised tool on a hard floor, that again changes the magnetic field, but randomly. kinda rough on a knife tho.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote