Thread: Sunggingans
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2015, 07:25 PM   #18
Gustav

Here is a link to a description of the second keris Rasdan posted, also a good chance to study an authentic end of 17th/beginning of 18th cent. Singa Barong blade from a somewhat better picture:

http://masterpieces.asemus.museum/ma...objectId=10902

Alan, I will post two pictures of this tabletop later this evening. I didn't found any on internet. The description as "lacquer painting" comes from "Exotica. Portugals Entdeckungen im Spiegel fürstlicher Kunst- und Wunderkammern der Renaissance, Wien 2000", ISBN 3-85497-009-9. It is a highly recomendable book, only after reading it I have understood, how fast the portuguese builded up a net of local workshops in countries they just have reached, to produce objects of interest for the very first, then mostly royal, collectors of curiosities back in Europe. From beginning on there is a very interesting mixture of styles (chinese artists from Macao tranplanted to Cochin to work in an indo/persian/portuguese style). Such mixture in arts is actually one of the most interesting sides of colonialism (like the upright piano in Burmese folk music from 1880-ties or violin and guitar in vietnamese folk music from the end of 19th cent.).

Regarding Balinese Sunggingans, I also thought, this could be a direct chinese influence/to me the style of painting very often looks chinese. Some time ago I was searching for a motif of two birds opposite one another. Here are two examples from Malay Peninsula and Bali, with birds and foliage, of course it could also be a pure coincidence. Till today I don't know the meaning of this motif (if there is any), yet I suppose, it could perhaps come from Middle-Asia and has been brought to SEAsia via chinese population.
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote