View Single Post
Old 30th July 2018, 05:02 AM   #8
thomas hauschild

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Thomas, I also have spent a lengthy part of my life involved in knifemaking, principally in making blades for other makers, but I have also made complete knives, and my work always tended towards an ethno-historical theme.

I have one question:- you have stated your respect for the techniques, and I assume, technology of makers of the past, do you , yourself, use these same techniques and technology in your work?
It‘s often difficult, because you often only see the result without the knowledge how it‘s done. You can read hundreds of hours books from scientist and the (often opposite ) opinions how it was done. Damascus patterns are one of this. It‘s just interesting for me to repeat a pattern. Is this exactly science what I want to do ? No. I will use borax instead quartz sand for the welding and a gasforge instead of charcoal. That doesn#t matter to me. If the result at the end will look like on the old one it will be ok for me. I have a bucket full of magnetit sand in my workshop. I wanted to make some iron out it. I will build an oven and if the result will be „iron“ that will be ok for me. I do not need to reproduce a similar oven with all detail measurements found in a specific region of the country. I will use an electric blower for that. The main issue for me is simple craftmenship , thats all

Best Thomas
thomas hauschild is offline   Reply With Quote