Thread: Indian axe
View Single Post
Old 30th August 2014, 12:02 PM   #22
kronckew

there is a tale of robert the bruce, leading his troops into a set piece battle against the english on ground of his choosing and preperation (bannockburn, 1314), getting seperated from his infantry shiltroon while scouting a portion of king edward II's cavalry (500 men) he had cut off including a new knight,Henry De Bohun.

the knight noted the bruce's apparent vulnerability, robert being ahorse armed with his spiked horseman's axe rather than a lance. the knight charged the bruce who on seeing him also advanced to him, both sides cheering their man.

ultimately they met in between the two opposing forces. robert parried the lance and struck the knight in the helmet with the spike on the axe, thru the eye holes, breaking the haft in the process and leaving the spike embedded in the now dead henry. robert the bruce drew his sword and rode back to his men. immensly heartened, the shiltroon did the most unthinkable thing possible. they charged the english cavalry.

the english were so disheartened they easily lost the battle and fled the field.

robert retrieved his favourite axe after the battle and had it re-hafted. the spike had gone thru the helmet, the knight's eye, brain and was stopped ultimately by the other side of the helmet. bit messy.

p.s. - i have a few spike axes, i love them. my latest is however likely a bit newer than yours.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 30th August 2014 at 12:59 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote