View Single Post
Old 5th September 2009, 06:28 AM   #183
ThePepperSkull

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
was intrigued by the movie trailer, so i found a copy of the dvd with english subtitles, just finished watching it. not only were there lots of keris, but there were in fact many moro kris, complete with kakatua grips, horses hoof grips, baca-baca and all. the blade the head army guy used had an ivory kakatua grip, and a distinct central ridge. there were also quite a number of dyak swords amoungst the pirates, and even one interesting axe. looked like copper breastplates, some bronze spears and quite a few flintlocks. they even worked in leonardo style hang gliders, a neat form of chain shot and even some ninjas. japanese armour, plate suits, and a few more items of interest here. even the dragon mouthed cannon... most of the edged weapons looked like the real thing, at least in the quick glimpses. i think they must have had acess to a museum or an old armoury somewhere.

all in all a quite good film. you do need to get it with your languages subtitles if you do not speak the language.
I've actually found a DVDrip torrent of the film and am watching it now with some english subtitles I found separately. Dan Chupong and Tony Jaa (the latter is not in the movie) are great stuntmen.

And his kris with the kakatua pommel is very nice. It's great to see the detail of research they put into the costuming for this semi-fantasy film. The kakatua pommel DOES look a little off to me though. Again, this could be any number of reasons, but it is a thai production and a lot of cultures' weapons from neighboring regions have been borrowed for aesthetic purposes.

In any case, it's great to see a swashbuckling movie taking place somewhere that's not commonly shown in films. And being that I'm filipino with some Indonesian and moro ancrestry, it's great to see a fantasy film inspired by malay folklore for a change.

PLUS, you can never go wrong with pirate ninjas.

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 5th September 2009 at 06:43 AM.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote