View Single Post
Old 14th March 2019, 09:08 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camoga
Wow, Jim and Fernando you guys do not disappoint.
The reason I posted on this website was because of your many informative posts.
I bought the sword about 7yrs ago and have had it on display. Please do not get mad at me, I was the one who tried my hand on restoring the piece since I have no plans on selling it and was trying to find some id mark on the blade (and make it look gorgeous of course). In 1998 we a massive landslide near where I live and the person who came to my house selling said the it found it near the there. obviously I have my doubts on how they obtained the sword but did not want to pass up on the opportunity sincer I am a fencer (sport not thief Haha).
Fernando I am not sure about the grip to me I assumed it was made out of wood but now that you say horn you might be right as to the way it is peeling off.

Once again that you guys for your input.
Samuel

Samuel, Im glad you posted this and gave us the opportunity to discuss it here. Thank you for the kind note, and Fernando and I have been 'at the fence' (study of cuphilts, not the back yard conversation......touche'!! for about 20+ years now.....so really appreciate this.

While this is clearly a composite, it is reworked with genuine components being used...and these colonial cuphilts themselves are extremely rare. What you have is actually an item with great history in the components which have continued in an extended history of some sort beyond the working life of the original/host weapon.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote