View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:00 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I have been looking at this thread and can only say I very much admire the outstanding research Swordfish has done and the fascinating discussion details added by Michael and him. While incredibly outside my element, and despite being among giants in the study of medieval arms and armour, I wanted to add something I discovered while looking for something on an unrelated topic.

In Park Lane Arms Fair catalogue 2004, "Problems and Pitfalls in the Identification of European Mail" , David Edge, he brings up some interesting perspective on some of these latten rings found on medieval coats of mail.
Apparantly, while in this example the ring is marked with letters which seem to comprise a name rather than invocational acrostic and is situated near the neck....some of the other examples have this latten ring situated in the right arm pit or under the right arm. This is the case notably with the 'Archibald hauberk' ('Royal Armouries Yearbook' Vol.IV, 1999, T. Richardson, pp.29-31) where the latten ring is pierced with three slotted holes, but only one holds the rivet.
Edge notes that similar instances with other latten rings are found in similar locations on other examples and noticeably incongruent with the surrounding rings.
He suggests that since these distinct latten rings are positioned in these same areas on the mail, perhaps these may have talismanic purpose as these right arm areas are most vulnerable. There are examples with simply a cross on them. In other instances rather than a latten ring, particular iron rings were stamped with 'signed' marks with 'Teutonic' (also cross pattee or Maltese) cross and in seemingly strategic locations, not necessarily in the arm regions noted. These seem to be from German 15th into 16th c.mail.

While these suggestions are of course highly speculative, one cannot overlook the powerful superstitions and religious beliefs held in particular by fighting men of the times, and even in the most modern times a man will look to many forms of faith to accompany him to battle.
Though some of these rings certainly seem to have names or locations in them, it does seem that many did not and these were still placed in locations where they were not easily seen, nor even noticed until recent inspections in museums. This suggests that these were subtly placed to imbue talismanic properties in the armour, and to reinforce the wearers confidence and strength in battle.
It would seem the signed rings accomplished this as well as heralding the work of the maker as the provider of this powerfully imbued armor.

Just my perspective in accord with Mr. Edges suggestions.

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote