View Single Post
Old 29th November 2011, 08:15 AM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelio
Hello my friends! I have two axes in my possession and would like your help and your comments. the former appears to be from the Balkans or from Persia. the second but I can not find the roots. Thank you Stelios

Salaams stelio, Interesting~ I wonder if the protrusion on the first axe is original or welded on afterwards...? The Omanis have two slightly different axes
1. From the Musandam.
2. From the Wayhaybah or Waheebah sands in North East Oman.

The Musandam axe is called a Jers (or Jirz) quite ornamental often with brass inlay and incised geometrical designs and is carried by Shihuh tribesmen and the other is called a Qaddum and is carried by the Wayhaybah tribesmen on camelback... and is often dead basic looking without incised adornment in plain steel and with a shaft of Ghaf wood.(probably changed on your specimens)

Wayhaybah axes..I think that is what we are loooking at in the case of the second weapon though the first looks like the Indian style and somewhat odd because of the hook protrusion.

For axes see Atlantia thread; Small Axes for ID #13 etc.

Regards Ibrahiim.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 29th November 2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: add name
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote