View Single Post
Old 8th September 2009, 02:36 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Roy, as far as axes go, this one is truly an anomaly, and I have spent hours looking through 'the usual resources' .In looking through Neumann ("Swords and Blades of the American Revolution") there is really nothing that corresponds to the most unusual head or bit, on this example. It is important however to note that 'spiked' axes or tomahawks were very well known during the Revolutionary War period.
The spike does have functional similarity to these features on boarding axes, and Neumann does note that these were introduced by the English into continental America in the early 18th century, losing thier appeal by the early 19th. (p.269).

It is extremely unusual to find an axe head like this, with the heel completely absent and the blade radiused directly around to the leading edge. I looked through "Boarders Away" and "Native American Weapons" but nothing there either.

Finally, reviewing " Firearms, Traps and Tools of the Mountain Man" (Carl P. Russell, 1967), on p.262, I found a line drawing of a small head axe with this type of profile in the radiused blade, however it is a 'poll' type (without the spike) with blunt squared back (fig. C). This item is among holdings of the Ohio State Museum, and is a relic of the tragic massacre of Moravian Indians (primarily Delaware and Munsee) on 8 March, 1782. This event is known as the Gnadenhuetten Massacre, and is the result of misperceived alliances between the factions of these tribes between British and American forces. Militiamen from Philadephia killed 96 individuals in the incident.

On p.256 ( Russell, op.cit., fig. 61f) is a small head axe with square poll similar in size but with full profile head, rather than the radiused edge. This was found in the wreck of the American gunboat Philadelphia, sunk in 1776 in Lake Champlain.

The markings on the blade are consistant with markings typically found on the heads of axes in this same position on these colonial examples. While many stamped markings are known from imports as trade items, these crude markings were commonly chiseled into the blade by smiths, and are known as 'touch marks'.

While this example does not correspond in profile with the smallhead poll type axes, it does seem quite possible that it might have been fashioned with the well known spike head type that was prevalent, in mind.
The markings, though not likely identifiable, are as noted, consistant with typical placement in position in these times. It is noted by Russell that these 'touch marks' are seldom identifiable, even though they did serve as a kind of 'makers mark' in local regions at the time. Many items were probably one off or small in number, as well as these marks were not recorded.

I hope this helps, it was interesting to learn more on these early axes. The condition also seems consistant with these items of the period.
Very nice find.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote