View Single Post
Old 25th March 2023, 08:59 AM   #24
Tordenskiold1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp View Post
alternative view:
this type is called in Dutch Houwdegen = broadsword for the foot soldier/infantry and must be dated much later between 1675-1725.
I support Jasper's dating for most of the examples shown in this tread, Ca 1670 - 1725 was the period were this type of hilts saw their prime use in Europe. I am adding on some additional observations below.

I do believe that the first types are seen from the 1640's. From where's we see the beginning of a transition period from the munition grade rapier style hilts on foot soldier's side arms. This transition period based on actual types that can be dated seems to be from Ca 1640 - 1660, in central and northern Europe.

I agree the examples discussed here can be referred to using different thermology's. As long as we all understand what we are talking about as suggested by others in this tread.

I believe this type of sword started to be seen from the 1640's. earlier examples has larger knuckles and often flat non pierced guards are also a sign of how to date the earliest types, if my understanding is correct. Other inputs / challenges on dating these types would be interesting and welcome.
Tordenskiold1721 is offline   Reply With Quote