View Single Post
Old 1st October 2022, 03:30 PM   #18
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Here I would note regarding the use of these 'walloon' type swords in Sweden is further supported by the fact that Casper Kohl of Solingen went to Wira in Sweden in 1630s and there brought in other Solingen smiths as well. As these types of swords were seemingly predominant in German manufacture it seems likely they were made there, as with note to issuance of these by Gustavus Adolphus. Perhaps this might account for the term attributing these in cases being 'Swedish swords'.
Whilst it’s true that Gustavus Adolphus started domestic production of military swords in Wira in 1630s and brought Casper Kohl of Solingen for this purpose, there is no evidence that Walloon type swords were produced there. The following information is from Heribert Seitz’s Svärdet och Värjan som Armévapen (1955).

The first picture shows a Walloon type sword common in Central Europe of German origins from the later phase of the 30-year war which in German-speaking areas sometimes are called “Swedendegen” or if the blade is curved “Schwedensäbel.” The reason could be that the blade is engraved with Gustav Adolphus’s portrait.

At the beginning of the 30-year war in 1620-30s Sweden imported most of its swords from the Netherlands (protestants). These are the Netherland-Swedish type some of which have a knuckle guard (pics 2, 3 and 4). These have cross guards and characteristic flat pear/heart shaped pommels.

Domestic production of swords in Sweden started in mid 1630s and and developed from the previously imported Netherland-Swedish type to a simple design cavalry sword at the end of the 30-year war (pics 5-6). This later developed into the soldier swords of the 1650-70s where the pommel became more spherical or onion shaped (pic 7).

From the above my impression is that the so called Walloon type sword was more prevalent on the continent than in Sweden where the Netherland-Swedish type dominated. I have seen no evidence that Walloon type swords were produced in Sweden. Only the first sword above is described as “Schwedendegen” in the book and is of German origins.
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote