View Single Post
Old 14th October 2014, 08:13 PM   #13
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ
The Pitt Rivers Museum websitte on Southern Sudan has photos of some of the nilotic spears with horn tips.

One extra thought. How do we know it is a spear head? Some Australian waddies are similar in size and shape, even having pointed ends. Then there are digging sticks, walking sticks, 'batons de commandment' ... Is there an indication that it was fitted onto a shaft ?

Ahh Thank you! Any links to those items?

I don't "know" my source was just a Siberian newspaper...

Hopefully Mr. Semyon Grigoryev, The Director of the Lazarev Mammoth Museum at the Northeastern Federal University is used to the subject matter & it has been examined with an electron microscope etc. for wear analysis .etc? To date I've found wear analysis great for the thousands of Mesolithic tools Ive found.

I sincerely hope no one even in Siberia thought rhino horn was best used for digging sticks! after all there plenty of birch,juniper, spruce & larch around.. & I guess in those days antlers & bones of any size...

But if you really interested google just Semyon Grigoryev, he seems like an informed chap to me. But I would welcome more info myself... perhaps you could send him an email perhaps? It would be interesting for more news, perhaps he will share the studies?

That would be good...

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote