View Single Post
Old 4th July 2015, 07:09 PM   #12
rickystl

Hi Raf.
Thank you so much for your comments. And I comepletly agree with your theory of how these guns moved "down market" where they were re-stocked (more crudely) and/or the locks and barrels re-used numerous times. The toe-lock miquelets could have been made anywhere from 1650 to 1850. With the exception of small differences in decoration and size, it's almost as if the locks were all made in one shop LOL. Two other common themes on these guns I've noticed: The stocks are all made about 2/3 rds the length to the muzzle and have flat bottoms on the forends. And the locks are only inlet into the stocks about 1/3rd of the way. I've only seen one barrel that was shaped octagon-to-round. All others were tapered octagon.

The gun I posted: I can't believe this gun was not refinised at some point. Maybe a while back. If so, I sure wish I knew the methods used. LOL The biggest mystery to me is the walrus inlays. There is only the slightest sign of yellow/aging. The silver barrel bands I'm sure are a later addition. But done in the traditional Algerian style for these guns. Yes, it sure does display well. Thanks again for your comments.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote