View Single Post
Old 20th May 2006, 04:22 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Well that's interesting. The nail holes are indeed very similar. Looking at the again the hole on the other side is really tiny any nail could not have go into a wall.

One of the twisted strap dangle things has broken. I could sew them into a tube of the same type of leather and sew small leather patches either side of the tares in the baldric. You must have seen the "field repair" to ww1 sword scabbards I am thinking of. I think that would look better than glue, even better if I can find some old thread. What do you think, leave well alone or fiddle?
Since this is a piece for display rather than for toting around and playing Fuzzy Wuzzy with I'd suggest Tim that you try the contact cement route first . Usually the leather is pretty dried out and brittle on these scabbards .

I repaired one of the twisted leather cords on my scabbard with a *very small* amount of contact cement and matched the broken ends; the repair is virtually invisible ; of course it will not stand up to anything more than gentle handling but then again if you are like me the sword will spend most of its time on display .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote