View Single Post
Old 25th January 2023, 07:10 PM   #19
A. G. Maisey

In Central Javanese keris belief of the1980's -'90's Pajajaran I was a a West Javanese (Sunda) kingdom that existed approximately concurrent with Majapahit.

That kingdom gave its name to a West Jawa era, and then a keris tangguh classification of Pajajaran I, Pajajaran II & Pajajaran III.

Somebody who absolutely believes that the tangguh belief system indicates a time period will also believe that a keris blade classifiable as "Pajajaran" dates from the era of historic Pajajaran.

This is what I was taught, and in the presence of my teachers and other True Believers, I also believed this, and in the presence of any True Believers today I am quite prepared to believe the same thing:- at home, in my village, I believe the same things my grandfather believes. Never argue with Granpa.

However, realistically these very old tangguh classifications are stylistically based, and a keris blade of that style will in most cases originate in the geographic area related to the name of the ancient historic political entity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakuan_Pajajaran
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote