Thread: Pedang lurus?
View Single Post
Old 10th June 2022, 07:27 PM   #1
werecow

Default Pedang lurus?

David suggested I start a thread on this board for this fun little pedang lurus (or so I think?) that I picked up a month or two ago. I'll just link to the pictures from the pamor thread (some are mine, some the vendor's):

As you can see it's about 78cm long. Tapers gradually from 8mm near the hilt to 5mm right before the start of the false edge.

It's my first blade with pamor. It has some damage to the grip and guard, and unfortunately no scabbard, but the blade is firm in the grip, and it has a rather outspoken pattern on it (with a very apparent layering seen along the spine). I really like the organic shape of it. It strikes me as almost kind of an elven sword.
It came very cheap, and on top of that it was a very pleasant surprise when I first held it. It's maybe my favorite short sword to hold. The weight and grip angle makes it feel both choppy and stabby. The forward slanted curvature brings the point exactly in line with the outstretched arm without hyperextending the wrist, and it also makes it feel somehow "eager" to chop, if that makes sense.

I assume it's Javanese, but I'm not quite sure. I don't have the expertise to determine a likely age. I'd appreciate your thoughts and insights.
werecow is online now   Reply With Quote